Saturday, January 19, 2019

Of Cats And Men Part 2


Once again tiny steps forward contrasted with big slides back mark my relationship with the cat who came to dinner, but all in all our relationship has improved.

He got to the point where he would not run away when he saw me, especially if I had his dinner in my hands, but instead would hover quite close. He also was not above loud complaining if I was late with this food. Clearly he had come to have certain expectations for me and expected me to fulfill them dutifully.
As time went on, he would maintain closer and closer proximity as I fed him. I was surprised one night when he actually came forward to sniff my fingers (as cat lovers know that's quite a big step in becoming friends with an animal). A few days later he actually allowed me to scratch his ears.

Of course, then he went right back to refusing to let me touch him and insisting that I had to go in the house and close the door before he would begin to eat.

Two nights ago he really shocked me. He not only let me scratch his ears, he let me pet him for a time. Naturally, all the while I was petting him he was busy complaining because he was afraid to eat until I went, yes, you guessed it, back in the house and closed the door. It's also interesting to note that just a moment, literally one or two seconds before he allowed me to pet him, he was hissing at me because he was so terrified that he was within touching range, but even as he was hissing, he didn't run away and did follow it up by letting me pet him.
I always knew we was conflicted and didn't know wheher to trust me or not, but I've decided now that he is, in fact, a case of multiple personality disorder.

I used to have interesting debates with my best friend (who was also our district Attendance and Child Welfare Officer and a licensed child psychologist) about the existence of multiple personality disorders. It was in the DSM, so he accepted it as real. I pointed out that the vast majority of psychologists and psychiatrists never encounter even a single case whereas one or two encounter many cases. I contended then and I contend now that the whole thing is a delusion imposed by the therapist on his patients. At least it is in humans. Apparently, it's very real in cats.

Sidenote to my daughter Racquell: OK, so I guess it needs a name. Lately other cats have been coming around and taking part in the great free feast of cat food I put out for him. I found I resent it because I'm not paying money I can't really afford to feed cats who have a home. I find myself thinking that they're stealing my cat's food.
So, considering that I know he has a very thick coat from petting him and of course he does in this winter, also because he's the cat who came to dinner (Google the movie The Man Who Came to Dinner and you'll understand the reference), And since the star of the American movie version of the play was named Wolley, for now I'll just call him Wooly. Happy now?

Final note: In case you haven't guessed, since that one time he let me pet him he has again reverted to not coming closer to me than a good yard. Thus proving that the mouse in the Merry Melodies cartoon Scaredy-cat had it right when he declared, "Pussycats is the cwaziest peoples!"

No comments:

Post a Comment