Wednesday, June 2, 2021

The Old Gray...Herd?

Another Facebook post.  


This one is a little glimpse into daily life for some of us who identify as elderly.


https://tiffytaffy.com/shopping-cart-test/?UlL=6g06ugY0oDAJ&fbclid=IwAR1T7C4RZP_ehMwSltF84ewumNPHaFXDV6tamI-C89TlxL39VpJdECd7OPs


M: I am an old lady with difficulty walking.  I use a cart as a walker.  Nothing makes me madder than to see the store rush out to remove the carts near handicapped spaces.  It would be so nice to leave one, just in case someone really needs it. I guess they expect that more carts will be put there from other customers, but my experience is that they run out all the time and remove them.  I usually have to call to them to PLEASE leave one cart for me.  I was a single mom for years and always took the carts back, but I can't criticize others who may have many other problems.


Me:  I never take my walker with me shopping because what do I do with it after I grab a cart?


M: So true.... I only take a walker if I think I may have to go far... otherwise it's the cane.  The "Golden Years".....crap!  Oh well, the alternative isn't so great either.


Me:  I don’t know if I told you but I’ve told other people I really feel bad about being a such crappy shape. I mean I’m only 72. But then I remind myself that while it is true that I know people older than me in much better shape than I am, I also know people who died years ago and that means that when they were younger than me, their lives ended. So I guess things aren’t so bad after all, are they?


M:  Yes, to be able to function at all is a blessing.  My mother died at 87 after suffering Alzheimer's for 15 years.  I only care about keeping my brain working....that is such a horrible disease.


Me:  

The neighbor lady, who has since moved, had to go through that with her husband. Thankfully he was happy in his Alzheimer’s. He basically reverted to childhood and was unaware that there was anything wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment