Friday, November 2, 2012

A Shameful Confession


I am about to admit a disturbing character flaw. Anyone who still maintains an unrealistic view of how kind, tolerant and generally nice I am, should stop reading now. I hate to disillusion you so cruelly.

The Confession: A part of me sincerely hopes that Mitt Romney wins the presidency. Why? Because then I get the awful delight of dancing the Schadenfreude Polka.

Note: Wikipedia defines the term, as: Schadenfreude Listen/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others. This German word is used as a loanword in English and some other ...

So, when you want to declare savage and cold hearted delight at the mess someone has made of his life with really stupid and self destructive behavior, you dance to the cruel, yet beguiling strains of the Schadenfreude Polka.

I try not to indulge myself in this. It is wrong and shameful. It is unChrisitan, unholy, and antisocial. But I do love it, nonetheless. I can't help but feel pleasure when I think of Tojo and his fellow Japanese imperialists wasting away in prison as they watched the Emperor bow to Gen. McArthur. The idea of major Nazis surrendering to the "mongrel" and "racially inferior" American forces...The thought of the Southerners who had demanded a "just and righteous war" against the North and the abolitionists sitting in the burned ruins of their mansions... what pure delight!

More recently, I think of all those who voted for Bush, only to see their homes foreclosed, their jobs evaporate, and their lives smashed by his policies. I say to them, "You asked for it, you got it."

So, while I mostly hope for Obama to win, that dark and savage side of me would really love to dance the Schadenfreude Polka once again.



No comments:

Post a Comment