Friday, August 8, 2014

The Dark Side of Star Trek


A response to a friend's Facebook post:

I did not like Deep Space 9 when it first came out. I only watched a few of the shows. It was dark, unpleasant, and just felt soiled compared to the  usual Star Trek fare.  Years later I found out that the producer had made it that way deliberately. He wanted to create a more gritty, realistic Star Trek. He was tired of all the hope and brightness that was typical of the series.

About three years ago I decided to give it a try again. After all, a lot of time had passed since the series was new.  I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.  You could say it's because I had matured, but I think it's more accurate to say I was looking at it with fresh eyes. That is to say, I was not judging it by the usual Star Trek standards, but as a standalone series.

It is now one of my two favorite Star Trek series.  The classical argument of which you prefer, Kirk for Picard, makes no sense to me. They're both inferior.

No comments:

Post a Comment