Saturday, October 18, 2014

Withdrawal Symptoms


Bobby! I'm a little late in answering your question, even for me, but nevertheless, here it is. (Back in philosophy club, I made a comment about if horses had gods, their gods would be horses. You asked me who said that? I responded some Greek guy. That was because I couldn't remember who. I wanted to say Zeno, but I knew that was wrong, as I usually think Zeno said everything. So, here's the answer:


But mortals suppose that gods are born, wear their own clothes and have a voice and body. (frag. 14)

Ethiopians say that their gods are snub-nosed and black; Thracians that theirs are blue-eyed and red-haired. (frag. 16)

But if horses or oxen or lions had hands or could draw with their hands and accomplish such works as men, horses would draw the figures of the gods as similar to horses, and the oxen as similar to oxen, and they would make the bodies of the sort which each of them had. (frag. 15)"-Xenophanes

Profound philosophical question for the day : Is science-fiction related to ancient Greek philosophy? There are a lot of people with x's and z's starting their names in both. Just wondering.

Also: What are the odds that Jesus had blue eyes?

Finally, I am upset. You have been to California at least twice without spending time with me. You are therefore and hereafter banned from the state unless you come and teach me something. I need a sharp philosophical debate. It doesn't matter about what, as long as it is philosophical in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment