Tuesday, February 14, 2017

At Least They Didn't Call It A Hairball


One of the great scientific mysteries that fascinated me throughout childhood and early adulthood was the endless attempts to determine what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. It was utterly fascinating and I followed the efforts and the new theories eagerly. Today I find the problem with black holes almost as fascinating. If you press an astrophysicist on the subject, he will admit that any time we start talking about infinities such as infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitely small it's an admission we don't know what we're talking about and that physics has broken down. (Note: this also applies to the big bang theory.)

Here's the new theory (new to me anyway) which solves a great many of the black hole problems, and it's based on string theory! Which in my book, makes it a double winner.
W
I am really stuck, though, on this issue of; if Alice reaches the black hole her strings are reproduced. I don't get it.

https://www.wired.com/2015/06/fuzzball-fix-black-hole-paradox/

No comments:

Post a Comment