Monday, December 16, 2019

You With Us Or Agin’ Us?

A Facebook discussion. D’s original post:

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2019/09/26/im-not-the-radical-left-im-the-humane-middle/

D: I think I'm just middle of the road. But somehow I'm an agitator in my postings according to some people. This sums it up for me.

A: Me too Dan. Don't feel all that radical but I am pissed off.

J: Yes!

R: Thanks for sharing. Remember, when we thought the world we were entering promised a brighter future? How did that work out?

“You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one”

RK: This is by far an excellent example of what should be described as a human being.

K: I’m right there with you Dan! I don’t feel far left either! I care for other people!

T: I’m with you, Daniel. You are not alone!

L: I was taught that to far to the right can be as dangerous as to far to the left:

Me: Reminds me of an editorial I read some years ago.
A young man reported that he was basically a political moderate. Because of his religion, he had been attending a Christian college. Obviously, his political attitudes were not in line with those around him. Seemed everybody else at the college was extremely conservative. He got really tired of having to explain that he wasn’t a radical left wing nut, he was just a moderate. So he switched to a public college.
But things didn’t work out for him that well. At the public college, he found he was constantly being accused of being a radical right winger, an ultraconservative. He couldn’t find a solution, so he just put up with it until graduation.
People love to categorize everyone around them. The most radical people think that everyone who isn’t in complete agreement with them must belong to the opposite and equally radical group.
It’s a sad fact about the way the human mind works and the way our culture is pushing us. Compromise and moderation just aren’t very popular, even though the great majority of us are moderates who are willing to compromise. The extremists of both polarized opposites dominate the media, the discussion, and our politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment