Friday, September 20, 2019

Fake...News? No, Meat


https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/19/20869271/impossible-burger-foods-gelsons-markets-southern-california-meat-free-plant-based

Me: Susan, the times they are achanging.

S: Are you going to try it? Just because it's plant based doesn't mean it's healthy. Check the ingredients. Personally, I hope it is good stuff.

Me: I usually buy already prepared meats. Even simple cooking like making a good spaghetti sauce and browning my own meat etc. is just beyond me right now. I’m willing to try it though. And honestly I’m not concerned so much about it being healthy as I am concerned about the effect on the environment and reducing cruelty to animals.

S: I started on this journey back in the 70's when I was horrified to read how veal calves are treated. So I agree with you on both points, especially reducing cruelty to animals, only wish it could be eliminating instead of reducing.

Me: I won’t argue. I am not a hypocrite but I do admit I make something of a bargain with the devil when I continue to eat meat. But I’ve also always advocated for laws insisting on the most humane treatment possible for animals even if it meant greatly raising the cost of meat at my own economic expense.

And if you need to smile today:
https://www.eater.com/2019/9/19/20873805/stephen-colbert-impossible-burger-commercial

B: I haven't tried one yet but *everyone I've asked about it who's had it, like it. The ingredients don't seem particularly weird. "Impossible" is mostly soy and "Beyond" is mostly pea protein. Let me know if you try it!

Me: Will do.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete



  2. O: I'm down to try it with you Dad.

    Me: Let’s go shopping. I’ll buy it if you’ll cook it

    O: Deal!

    Me: James is supposed to take me shopping at Walmart tomorrow. But I still need to get to Costco. Just tell me when.

    ReplyDelete