Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Through A Glass Darkly



I find myself making posts on my blog out of very brief Facebook posts. I prefer to go with the brief posts on Facebook and the longer posts on my blog, but some issues are simply so important I feel the need to put them on the blog even if I lack the strength or endurance to make more lengthy presentations. If nothing else, it allows my close friends a clear view of those issues I think are of great importance and which I hope we will be able to discuss in the future.

Case in point:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/09/hurt-people-hurt-people-quote-origin-hustlers-phrase.html

The statement is not entirely accurate, rather it’s terribly simplistic. My own family histories show a deep reflection of the reality of this concept. Several intergenerational examples of individuals being hurt as children who then grew up to inflict similar or related hurt upon their children are well known to me. In one particular case I can track the hurt back to the current “hurter’s” great grandparents. There the trail grows cold. In another case within my family, I can also trace the harm back to the “hurter’s’” great grandparents. In that case, however, the chain was broken and has ceased being passed on down to future generations.

A more accurate statement would be that those who have been hurt find it difficult not to pass that hurt onto next generation, but they can and do accomplish this in many cases. Their are also cases in which the harm originates with a particular individual who was not hurt.

Please note that I am aware my the constant use of the word “hurt” is clumsy but I think it is appropriate in this particular post.

1 comment:

  1. In regard to this matter consider this earlier post:
    https://el-naranjal-del-desierto.blogspot.com/2019/04/notes-on-victims-and-self-victimization.html

    ReplyDelete